Ray Stearn’s Best Before Cake
1 packet of Crystallised Ginger Cookies; Best before July 2019
1 packet of Strawberry Cream Biscuits; Best before November 2019
1 packet of Lemon Shortbread; Best before August 2019
Handful of biscuits hidden from partner from tin on top of fridge
Remainder of a packet of mixed nuts; Best before January 2020
Remainder of currants left over from Christmas mincemeat; Best Before date obscured
1 slightly nibbled packet of cooking chocolate; Best before June 2018
Golden Syrup, still liquid so must be okay, yes?
Butter from fridge, wrapper with date on missing.
· Find yourself in a covid 19 lockdown situation
· Decide the kitchen cupboards need a bit of a tidy
· Amass a quantity of tins, packets, jars of Best Before veteran ingredients
· Decide they must not be wasted
· Melt butter over a low heat in suitably sized pan
· Add all other ingredients, stirring well
· Transfer to baking tray that fits into your fridge
· Cool in fridge
Serve when fully chilled to unsuspecting partner. They should ideally have a Best Before date of 1975, to have gathered immunity from Best Before dating systems.
This recipe is also ideal as a savoury dish, depending on what is in your cupboard, though I would advise against combining sweet and savoury ingredients together, particularly if it involves anchovies.
© Ray Stearn 26th April 2020